Happy Birthday to the School Library Association of New Zealand Aotearoa (SLANZA) whose members are meeting in Auckland and via video conference this afternoon to celebrate their 10 year anniversary, and to conduct the 2010 AGM.
We extend congratulations to current SLANZA President, Senga White and to recently announced President-elect Fiona Mackie, and wish the association all the best for the next 10 years.
SLANZA was launched in 2000 with the vision of strengthening and promoting the role of school libraries and enabling all school communities to become information literate, and has already had many successes in delivering the goals it sets itself to:
- provide a national voice for school library teams
- advocate for the critical role of school libraries in reading, teaching and learning
- improve the professional standing, working conditions and qualifications for all staff involved with school libraries
- support professional development through conferences, network meetings and regular newsletters
- develop links with associated national and international professional organisations.
SLANZA conferences are always friendly and professionally stimulating events and planning is underway for July 2011 at St Cuthbert’s College, Auckland. Check out also the stunning latest issue of Collected magazine.