The National Library of New Zealand Services to Schools team maintains a set of high interest topics pages with links to selected quality websites on topics such as Seasons, Wearable Art, Brain Science and the Rugby World Cup 2011.
We have selected these resources to help you when you need online information relating to popular curriculum based topics. To make sure the resources are appropriate we’ve used the following standard criteria: accuracy, authority, coverage, currency and objectivity.
Add these topics to your library catalogue
SCIS provides MARC records for a range of websites each month and these are available for selection and download via the SCIS Special Order Files new SCIS websites page [SCIS login required]. Use the Last month option to preview websites added recently (including the National Library of NZ topics) and select those appropriate for your library.
To order and download SCIS records specifically for the National Library of New Zealand’s high interest topics:
- Open the document: SCIS numbers for NLNZ topics [Word format]
- Delete any topics you don’t wish to download
- Hover over the left hand column of this table until the black downward arrow appears. Click to highlight the column, and then copy the SCIS numbers
- Paste these into the SCIS Create Orders box and click the Process Order button [SCIS login required]
- Save the usmarc.dat file from the SCIS Orders table to your computer, and import it to your library management system.
- Check by title or subject that the records display as you expect them in your library catalogue’s search module.
If you know you want the full set of 47 topics then open this file of SCIS NLNZ order numbers only. Then copy and paste the SCIS order numbers into the SCIS Create Orders box and click the Process Order button [SCIS login required].
Want more websites?
Do let us know what kind of websites and topics you are looking for in SCIS.